Monday, October 09, 2006

On Saturday I shot Ryan's 1st birthday party. The Kim's are Korean and Indonesian and it's a Korean tradition that on the baby's first birthday three objects are set out - a book, a rope, and money. The roap signifies a long life. The book means he will become a scholar. And the money means he will have great wealth (his dad really wanted him to pick the money!). The baby then crawls or walks to one of the objects and that object is said to fortell his future. The baby is dressed in a special outfit called a hanbok (I did my research!). All of the Kim's boys wore the same hanbok on their first birthdays. Ryan eventually picked the money, but I'm pretty sure that's because his bottle was sitting on it. It was really cool and very fun to be a part of. I've gotten to know the Kim's and their friends over the past year and it was great to see all of them. I'm VERY sad because the Kim's are moving to Chicago. They will just have to fly me out for all of their parties :) I'm going to miss them, but hopefully they'll have time for some family portraits before they leave. Thanks again for your hospitality! Here's your show!


The birthday boy in his hanbok.

Alex and his girlfriend Mia.

Ryan with his birthday cake.

The happy family.

And this is Cindy. She's one of my brides and is getting married next May. And she makes awesome homemade ice cream!

1 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was the most fun party for the children and the adults! How sad to think the family may be leaving the area. We know they will quickly make new friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home