Tuesday, October 31, 2006



As promised here are some pictures of my trip! We started out in Ohio and drove down to Versailles (pronounced Ver-sales), Kentucky. I make Chuck drive on the backroads because the backroads are SO much more fun! Here's a picture of the Cincinnati skyline. On the left is the stadium where the Cincinnati Bengals play.



I love Kentucky. It's only my second time there, but there's just something about it. I love that the skies are bluer. I love the southern accents and hospitality. I love the fresh clean air. I just love it. It's so beautiful there. I would live there if it wasn't so cold in the winter! I guess I love it so much because I'm from California, but my roots are from Kentucky :)









Versailles is about 20 minutes outside of Lexington. It's right in the middle of horse country. I highly reccommend watching the movie "Dreamer" with Dakota Fanning and Kurt Russell. It's a little cheese, but it takes place in Versailles. I didn't really get the whole horse thing, but after watching this movie I love horses and horse racing. Next year we want to come back and see a horse race.







We stayed at an amazing B & B called the Storybook Inn. Bed and breakfasts can be hit and miss, but this inn was like staying in a five star resort. Elise, the innkeeper, did an incredible job of combining 19th century Southern charm with modern day amentities. Elise is very knowledgable about Kentucky and Versailles and horses. If you are ever in Kentucky you must stay here. The breakfast alone is worth the stay!





We made friends with some cats


Or should I say, I made friends with some cats. Chuck is allergic :)



We then headed down to Cannel City, which is the town that my grandparents, and their parents, and their parents, and their parents lived :) Cannel City isn't really a city. It's not really even a town. One of the main reasons we came to Kentucky was to find an old family cemetery. We couldn't find it the last time we were there, but we were determined this time. We talked to 5 different people in order to find it. Two of the people we talked to knew my grandparents, which is pretty amazing because they lived there close to 70 years ago. The road to the cemetery was blocked by a fallen tree and a broken down pick-up. My great, great grandparents are buried there and some great, great aunts, uncles, and cousins. It's a very small cemetery, but it was so cool to finally find it. It's really amazing to know that my grandpa had probably stood up there to attend his grandparents funeral a long time ago.

The long road we walked up to get to the cemetery.


My great aunt and uncles grave in the center


My great great grandparents


Tomorrow I'll have more on our drive through Kentucky, Virginia, and North Carolina!

5 Comments:

At 3:03 AM, Blogger Orange County Wedding Photographer said...

Hi Drew! How are you? I really love that perspective shot with the fence. Looks like you had a nice trip.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Jasmine said...

That shot of Chuck and the cat is HILARIOUS!! I'm sure he loves you for that! :)

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photos are "AMAZING" i AM SOOOO impressed with each and everyone of them.

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photos are outstanding!!!!!
Hallie

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger DrewB said...

Thank you all SO much! It means a lot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home